Cisco completes acquisition of NDS Group
Cisco, which makes networking gear, values the deal at $5 billion. That figure includes the company's debt.
NDS, based in the United Kingdom, makes software that helps cable and satellite TV companies deliver content to subscribers' digital video recorders, tablets, smart phones and other devices.
San Jose, Calif.-based Cisco said that NDS employees will join Cisco's Service Provider Video Technology Group. The former chairman and CEO of NDS, Dr. Abe Peled, will become senior vice president and chief strategist of Cisco's video group.
Cisco has narrowed its focus in recent years by culling divisions and cutting costs through layoffs. It shuttered its consumer-oriented Flip video camera business last year, but video offerings for businesses have remained a big part of its focus. It acquired Scientific-Atlanta, a maker of TV set-top boxes, in 2006 for $7.1 billion and online conference provider WebEx a year later for $3 billion.
Cisco's shares rose 18 cents to $16.05 in morning trading Tuesday.
(c) 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Cisco Completes Acquisition of NDS
- United States : Cisco Completes Acquisition of NDS [TendersInfo (India)]
- Cisco completes acquisition of video software firm [Computer News Middle East]
- United Kingdom : Cisco Completes Acquisition of NDS [TendersInfo (India)]
- OpenGate Capital Completes Acquisition of Getronics LATAM from KPN